Monday 3 November 2008

Power made perfect

2 Corinthians 12.9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

I'm feeling a bit too lazy to put many proper paragraphs together, so this could be a short and sweet entry. Somehow, by a blip in the timetable of death, and ultimately by the grace of God, I've had the entire day off today. Whilst it hasn't quite been the uber-productive day I imagined it might be, I had a long lie in and spent a couple of happy hours with my physical biochemistry notes preparing for Thursday's coursetest before pottering off down to the UFO (that's Union food outlet) to get some bread and milk etc, all at hideous prices when compared with the wonderous Iceland. After a successful lunch, and a perusal of the newspaper (i thought i'd get myself in the know this week) I have at least attempted my lap report.



On Saturday, following Friday night at the LCR, I arose in the wee small hours of the morning in order to catch a train for a fun filled at a BPSA conference in London. For those of you not down with the excessive acronyms life at UEA contains, that's a night out at the union club, and a day in London at a British Pharmaceutical Students Assosciation conference..fun times. It was really interesting, though an awful long time to be sat down listening to people talk about various things to do with pharmacy on a saturday, not to mention that somehow they thought that finishing the day with a calculation quiz would be fun!? We had dinner at Nando's before heading back via the tube then the train to home in Norwich. This week has been a week of pharamcy blues for a fair few of the girls on my course- they say it is just hitting them just how much work we've got- and it is true, it is a soul crushing amount, especially considereing my serious lack of biology knowlege. I am plodding onwards, although not looking forward to the physiology and pharmacology course test next week. Unfortunately, i thought that the adrenal gland was in the brain...would you put your healthcare in my hands?! Sometime between now and next week there needs to be a serious biology fest.


So this last week, has been a mixture of fear and joy. Joy because despite how hard I'm finding some things, it is clear to me that I am learning even more to depend upon God's grace. I was talking with a friend the other day, and realised properly, for the first time- that God's grace and provision is made even more apparent to us when we learn to fully rely on him for everything, and in times when we find things difficult. This must be what it means when we read 'My power works best in weakness'. The more I struggle, the more i realise that I must depend upon God, and the more i depend upon God, the more I know daily his awesome provision and never ending grace- even in the little things, like conversations and cups of tea at just the right time. In the immortal words of the proclaimers (the scottish band, rather than the church in Norwich) 'the less I believe in me, the more I believe in thee'!


This evening, another example of God's grace for me, I've spent the evening with my friend Zoe from biomedicine who shares the same trauma due to our upcoming coursetest in physical biochemistry. She brought biscuits and we giggled as we talked about our many physical biochem problems and went through recent questions together.

Last night we watched a ridiculous film called Mystic Pizza, starring julia roberts and made about 20 years ago. Katie's girly choice- and lots of giggles, but all in all, a film where nothing actually happens. Lots of faffing around with relationships- I bit like Jane Austen, but less reserved.

Tomorrow, or I suppose in the early hours of Wednesday we'll find out who the new US president will be. In all honesty I haven't been following it at all over the last few weeks in the UEA campus bubble, but today I bought a paper to get informed on the matter- it made a change to actually choose which paper to buy rather than to get the one that which is giving out a whopping great bar of chocolate (the telegraph) a bottle of fruit juice (the independent) or a cereal bowl (the guardian) for free outside the union shop. Tomorrow, the LCR fancy dress club night is themed 'Stars and Stripes' but i think i'll be spending a few happy hours at home doing my lab report. I might stay up to give out hot chocolate though, which will make me tempted to go to the bar afterwards to watch the election results on the big screen until 6am- despite my first placement on wednesday. We're visiting pheonix, a pharmaceutical wholesaler, so it shouldn't be too taxing, and hopefully there will be some free food involved.

Anyway, its half past 11, by all means this could still be an early night for me, and i intend to go to bed within the next five minuites. So for now, goodnight. xxx

No comments: